Our Columbia County, New York innkeepers are located throughout the entire county.
Each of our innkeepers will be happy to assist you in planning your upstate New York vacation. We can point you to everything from the very small - like a book fair and tag sale in Clermont - to the biggest - the County Fair in Chatham. We all know "the best" apple orchard in October or a maple sugaring barn in March to find the sweetest treats. Other treats to find, be they antiques, art galleries, theater, dance, music and blueberry festivals, wedding venues, or that special dinner for two can be found in our county seat, Hudson, and throughout the many towns and villages in Columbia County, New York. Below are a few more ideas to help you plan your New York vacation with us.
THE HISTORY - Like many counties in the Hudson River Valley of Upstate New York, Columbia County has a good number of sites for those who like history with their holiday.
- Olana State Historic Site - Hudson River Valley School of Painter Frederick Church's Persian fantasy castle - Olana has reopened its doors for house tours after extensive renovations. The grounds alone are worth the visit with their gorgeous views of the Catskills.
- Martin van Buren National Historic Site - Lindenwald, home and farm of the eighth President of the United States.
- FASNY Museum of Firefighting, Hudson - 50,000 square feet of fire trucks (!) and memorabilia from all over the state.
- Clermont State Historic Site - One of the castles of the Hudson. The Livingston Family home for over 2 centuries has tours, and grounds are open for viewing.
- Lindenwald - The home of President Martin van Buren re-opens in the Spring of 2006 after a three year restoration with many special events on the calendar.
- Mt. Lebanon Shaker Village
- Columbia County Historical Society - CCHS has information on many of the old homes as well as family genealogical records of the region.
THE ARTS - Columbia County has long been and still is the home to a vibrant arts community.
- Fields Sculpture Park, ART/OMI Arts Center, Ghent
- MacHaydn Theatre, Chatham
- PS/21 Performance Space, Chatham
- The Ghent Playhouse, Ghent
- Theatre Barn Summer Stock, New Lebanon
- Time and Space Limited, Hudson
- Millay Poetry Trail at Steepletop
- Tanglewood, Lenox
- Hudson Art Galleries
FESTIVALS - with good food, good weather, and good friends, why not celebrate?
- Old Tone Music Festival, North Hillsdale NY
- Hudson Berkshire Wine Festival, Chatham NY
- Basilica Farm & Flea, Hudson NY
- Columbia County Fair, Chatham NY
- Copake Auction, Copake - Americana, Antique Auctions, and Annual Antique Bicycle Auction.
- Film Columbia, Chatham
- Falcon Ridge Folk Festival, Hillsdale NY
- Blueberry Festival, Austerlitz NY
- Winter Walk on Warren, Hudson NY
- Rural Intelligence.
THE OUTDOORS - Columbia County offers many options for the outdoor enthusiast from kayaking and fishing on the Hudson River and in its lakes to mountain biking, birding, and skiing in the Eastern regions. Below are a few of the many outdoor adventures that are available.
- Lake Taghkanic State Park, Taghkanic
- Bash Bish Falls/Taconic State Park, Copake Falls
- Columbia County Land Conservancy, Conservation Areas Open to the Public
- Catamount Ski and Snowboarding, Hillsdale - downhill skiing, snow boarding, aerial forest adventure park, mountain biking
- Harlem Valley Rail Trail, Copake
- Hudson Cruises � Hudson Lighthouse
- Hudson Valley Bounty - for listings of farm stands, pick your own orchards, artisanal cheese producers, and much more.
- For more specific sites for golf, bicycling, hiking, birding, fishing, swimming, hunting, and boating see: columbiacountyny.org
AND THE REST
HAADA - Hudson Antique And Arts Dealers Association
Stair Galleries, Warren Street, Hudson - Two-tier auction house and one of the biggest on the East Coast. Great Friday night auctions held every six weeks. See Web site for future dates.
Copake Auction, Copake - Americana, Antique Auctions. Don't miss the Annual Antique Bicycle Auction or Annual Textile Auction.
- Hudson-Berkshire Beverage Trail - Columbia County has three wineries, several breweries and distilleries, and more slated to open soon. This trail continues into neighboring Rensselaer and Berkshire Counties.
For more information about Special Events and things to Do and See in Columbia County, visit columbiacountytourism.org.